Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
The Interpreter Assistant is a member of the Protection team and is directly supervised by a senior member of the unit. The Interpreter Assistant is responsible for providing linguistic support to all operational activities. Most importantly, this includes providing daily interpretation during protection related interviews and at the protection inquiry window and to ensure efficient and accurate translations of documents submitted by persons of concern. Furthermore, the interpreter may also support with translations and/or interpretations in the voluntary repatriation process or in meetings with UNHCR counterparts, as or when required.
- Interprets oral conversations, discussions and interviews especially with persons of concern to UNHCR
- Interprets and/or translates from documents, letters, newspapers, written reports, magazines etc.;
- Travels with staff on their missions to the field for interpretation and other assistance, as needed;
- Ensure accuracy of terms and terminology used in the documents
- Arranges meetings, both internal and external, some involving high-ranking officials and takes minutes/notes;
- Ensure translation is written with style, correct grammar and spelling
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit the final translation in both soft and hard copy.
- Responds to queries relating to the area of responsibility;
- Performs other duties as required
Education Qualifications & Professional Work Experience:
- Fluency in English and excellent knowledge of Dari and Pashto (Local languages). This is an interpreter post and excellent knowledge of Dari is required. Candidates without the required language skills will not be considered.
- Completion of the Secondary Education with Post-secondary training/certificate in Interpretation, Translation Business Administration, Secretarial Work, or related field
- At least 3 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Translation skills
- Communication skills
- Computer skills
- Political and Organization Awareness
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level General
- Total Years Experience 0-5