The purpose of this position is to assist the Community Recreation Manager plan, organize, administer and manage all areas of Community Recreation in an effective manner. This position assists in the delivery of Community Recreation services by developing lifelong leisure skills and socialization activities to promote wholesome and active lifestyles for sailors and their families.
(a.) Customer Service
- Provides customer service, information and support of community recreation programs and activities. Service to MWR customers includes , but is not limited to booking leisure travel opportunities, checking ID cards to ensure authorized use of recreation facilities, resources and equipment, providing information about travel, activities and program offerings, opening and closing facilities, ordering and restocking supplies, and preparing or selling pre-packaged items.
- Sells leisure travel products including but not limited to commercial airline tickets, hotel accommodations, car rentals, and vacation packages via Internet e-ticketing processes.
- Collects fees from customers associated with sales of tickets (local, national, vouchers, e tickets and promotional codes), retail and rental items, as well as from classes, travel, trips, and various other community recreation programs using Point of Sales (POS) and computer programs.
- Maintains accountability for the accuracy of daily sales transactions.
- Completes a Daily Activity Report (DAR) at the end of every shift.
- Assists in processing customer Internet registrations, initial log-ins and event registrations.
(b.) Equipment Maintenance
- Checks Community Recreation equipment and resources in and out, collects any applicable rental fees, catalogs and completes inspections prior to issuance and upon return. Notifies supervisor or lead if damage or loss has occurred.
- Ensures all rental or check-out forms are properly filled out and reservation and check out procedures are followed.
- Conducts inventory for proper accountability of program equipment and resources.
- Inspects, maintains and performs upkeep maintenance and repairs on all equipment and resources.
- Initiates and follows up on maintenance trouble calls to get equipment/facility issues resolved.
- Assists in administering traditional and non-traditional workshops, clinics and events in a variety of leisure and recreation skills subject areas, in tune with offerings popular in the local area, including but not limited to travel, camping, cycling, sailing, backpacking, canoeing, snow skiing, hiking and water sports.
- Provides recreation experiences related to leisure skill sets in the form of day and weekend trips.
- Assists in day-to-day administration of multiple programs to which assigned. Tasks include submission of event after-action reports, patronage data collection, database administration and program reconciliation.
- Performs inventory of various types of equipment, retail goods, supplies and items deemed to have cash value.
- Handles correspondence in arranging tours, coordinating and resolving custom requirements, such as advising travelers of passports, departure taxes, and /or visa requirements when applicable. All administrative duties are accomplished through a variety of means, including use of computer software programs which track resource inventories. Financial reports, patron usage/comments, and program standards metrics.
- Assists with recruitment, training and scheduling of community recreation staff.
- Supports the command statement on adherence to EEO principles and policies.
- Transports patrons off-base to local attractions or trips, tours and outings.
- Performs general housekeeping duties as needed, including but not limited to emptying trash, dusting, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, policing recreation areas, and securing the facility.
- Adheres to NAVMED P-5010 sanitation requirements.
- Assists in the planning, coordinating, publicizing, marketing and execution of MWR programs and special events.
- Responsible for entertainment and promotion scheduling.
- Assists in updating of electronic and multi-media support tools, as needed.
- Seeks ways to promote MWR facilities and events through outreach opportunities on base, including but not limited to Command Indoctrination, direct marketing, electronic media and other forms of promotion.
- Promotes use of recreational e-reading resources available through online MWR Library Program resources.
- Develops working partnerships with both on base and off base organizations (park
- districts, forest preserve, clubs, special interest groups, convention visitors’ bureau (CYB), or Chamber of Commerce etc.) to support and benefit MWR programs.
- Assists in the development of contacts and Memorandums of Agreement (MOAs) in support of community outreach.
- Assists in the creation of professional proposals, execution of agreements and follow-up.
- Researches and provides information and referral for a variety of recreational opportunities for individuals/families on and off the base.
- Provides support for Community Recreation event set up and break down.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel – Less than 10% may be required.
Job family (Series)
0189 Recreation Aid And Assistant
Conditions of Employment
- Must obtain and maintain Cruise Line Industry Association (CLIA) certification within 24 months of employment.
- Employee is conditional on the successful completion of an Access National Agency Check (ANACI).
- Must obtain and maintain C.A.R.E. training; EFR or CPR First Aid certification; and a current Food Handler certification; or be able to obtain these trainings/certification within 90 days of being placed in the position.
- Must possess and maintain a current driver’s license to drive a government vehicle in the performance of duties. if applicable, incumbent will obtain license validation for transporting patrons off-base within 90 days of being placed in the position
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Combination of experience related to clerical or office work, customer service and or recreation activity based functions.
- Ability to organize, plan, administer special events, entertainment activities and travel related packages and services.
- Knowledge of rules, regulations and requirements of leisure travel, tourist industry and familiarity with a variety of geographical locations worldwide.
- Ability to work independently, make sound decisions and have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the goals, principles, techniques and procedures used in organizing, planning and conducting leisure time activities.
- Knowledge of the Navy MWR mission and the entire scope of Community Recreation activities and their suitability for individuals, groups, ages and interests.
- Knowledge of the functions, procedures, and operations of recreation activities.
- Must have strong customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain records, compile and organize data for reports, and perform research on recreation topics for dissemination to customers.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and perform common mathematical problems.
- Knowledge of computers, office procedures and print production. Employee will be required to operate a POS system and travel programs (i.e. Client base, SABRE, AMADEUS or AIRPRO).
Knowledge gained through relevant education and training (i.e., Associates Degree in Recreation, Travel, Marketing, Business Administration or closely related field) and/or two years equivalent recreation work experience
Some positions have special requirements. Selection may be tentative pending the completion of these requirements. Applicants may be required to submit proof of education, participate in medical screening, drug testing, etc. All selections are contingent upon satisfactory employment reference checks. Employment is subject to successful National Agency Background Check. As a condition of employment, the selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit/Electronic Fund Transfer within the first 30 days of employment. Occupants of this position must maintain the privacy of official work information and data and demonstrate the highest level of ethical conduct. Additional selections may be made from this announcement.
The Department of Navy (DON) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other non-merit factor. The DON provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. Applicants with disabilities who believe they require reasonable accommodation should call 011-39-081-568-5612 or e-mail their request to NAFPersonnel@eu.navy.mil to ensure proper consideration. The decision to grant an accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Using the qualifications of the position, a predetermined rating and ranking criterion of knowledge, skills, and abilities will be used for each application.
Click the following link to preview the applicant questionnaire: Preview Applicant Questionnaire.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
- Resume with complete work history including job title, start and end dates, and highlighting qualifications relevant to the vacancy announcement.
- Attach an OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment (signed within last 60 days)
- Supplemental Questionnaire
OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
- Veteran of U.S. Armed Forces? Attach the member-4 page of your DD-214, “Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”.
- Current or former Federal employee? Attach most recent SF-50 or Personnel Action Report (PAR) from your personnel record.
- Claiming Military Spouse Preference? Attach Military Spouse Preference Form, Preference Entitlement Survey, and legible copy of sponsor’s PCS orders.
- Claiming Family Member Preference? Attach Preference Entitlement Survey and legible copy of sponsor’s PCS orders.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
A comprehensive benefits package is available.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Family of overseas employees
Family members of a federal employee or uniformed service member who is, or was, working overseas.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level General
- Total Years Experience 0-5